South Dakota’s First Responders support Amendment D

August 10, 2022

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. ( — South Dakota’s first responders are joining the campaign to expand Medicaid in the state with their support of Constitutional Amendment D.

The South Dakota EMS Association and the South Dakota Firefighters Association, which represent first responders in South Dakota, endorse Medicaid expansion efforts in the state to strengthen rural healthcare and rural economies.

Voters have the opportunity to support Medicaid expansion on the ballot this November with a “yes” vote on Constitutional Amendment D. Amendment D will require the State of South Dakota to provide Medicaid benefits to any person over 18 and under 65 who earns less than $18,000 a year or a family of four earning less than $37,000 per year. Federal funding would pay for 90 percent of the expansion costs, with the state being responsible for the remaining 10 percent.

According to the South Dakota Legislative Research Council, expanding Medicaid means South Dakota will save more than $63 million in general funds in the first two years alone, as a result of additional program funding through ARPA. Medicaid expansion would return more than $1.3 billion tax dollars to South Dakota from Washington in the first five years.