October 12, 2019
KWAT Radio News
WATERTOWN, S.D.—Watertown Fire Rescue (WFR) responded to two separate structure fires Saturday night and early Sunday morning.
The first fire was reported at an apartment at 1200 2nd Avenue Southwest (Apt.#45) at 5:00 p.m. Saturday.
WFR crews arrived to find heavy black smoke coming from the apartment unit, and a person lying just outside of the apartment that was on fire.
That person was moved to a safe area by Watertown police officers and was assessed on the scene by paramedics.
The fire started in a couch in the living room, apparently from an unattended cigarette. A neighboring apartment had minor smoke damage.
The second fire was in a mobile home at 1014 13th Street Southwest (pictured) at midnight Sunday morning.
WFR crews found light smoke and charring on the front corner of the house when they got to the scene.
They used tools to remove siding and plywood and found a smoldering fire in the structural framing of the mobile home.
The only occupant made it out safely, and reported that prior to the fire, lights in the home began to flicker.
The home had minor fire damage.
PHOTO: Courtesy Watertown Fire Rescue