Watertown Fire Rescue dispatched to kitchen fire

 

November 12, 2019

Mike Tanner

KWAT Radio News

 

 

WATERTOWN, S.D.–Watertown Fire Rescue was called to a kitchen fire at a home at 1702 14th Avenue Southeast.

 

The call came in just before nine o’clock Monday night.

 

The fire was the result of a broken gas pipe connecting a kitchen stove to the home’s natural gas service.

 

Before firefighters arrived, the homeowner shut off the gas supply and extinguished the fire with a home fire extinguisher, which meant there was only minimal damage.

 

Fire Rescue crews set up a ventilation fan to exchange air in the home.

 

Authorities say the fire may have been prevented with the use of a flexible gas line, instead of a pipe.