Watertown Fire Rescue called to carbon monoxide leak at duplex

December 29, 2020
Mike Tanner

WATERTOWN, S.D.–Watertown Fire Rescue was called out on a report of a carbon monixide leak last night.

The call to a duplex in the 200-block of 2nd Avenue Southeast came in around 10:15.

Crews arrived and using a gas monitor,found elevated readings of carbon monixide.

Further investigation found a faulty furnace, with flames coming out of the bottom of the furnace.

The flames were extinguished by turning off the natural gas supply to the building.

The carbon monoxide levels then began to return to normal levels.

The furnace was tagged by municipal utilities and will need further repair.

The occupants of the duplex were assisted by Citi-wide Properties in finding other living arrangements for the evening.