Watertown Fire Rescue called out to fire on Lockheed Avenue

May 13, 2024

Mike Tanner

WATERTOWN, S.D.–Watertown Fire Rescue (WFR) was called out Sunday morning to a fire at Miller Electric Manufacturing-Smith Equipment at 2601 Lockheed Avenue.

When they got there, an employee told them he showed up to work to find the nearly 100,000 square foot facility filled with smoke.

Crews searched the building for the source of the smoke and found the main electrical cabinet inside the building had been on fire.

The fire was contained to the electrical cabinet located in the mechanical room.

Crews waited for power to be shut off to the building before extinguishing the smoldering fire.

They spent the remainder of their time of scene clearing the building of smoke.

The fire caused extensive damage to the electrical system.

WFR was on scene for about two hours.