Watertown Fire Rescue called out for smoking electrical transformer

August 23, 2021
Mike Tanner

WATERTOWN, S.D.–Watertown Fire Rescue responded to a report of an electrical transformer that was smoking at the corner of 9th Avenue and 14th Street Southeast just after 8:30 this morning.

They arrived to find smoke coming out of the lid of the large transformer.

Watertown Municipal Utilities were called and their crews rerouted the power to area customers.

While on scene, Fire Rescue went to Hy-Vee to notify them of a possible power outage and smelled an odor that is associated with an electrical fire. It was due to a mechanical malfunction of the store’s HVAC system.