Sturgis woman dies in accidental fire
Photo: Getty Images

September 26, 2022

STURGIS, S.D. – A woman who was rescued from an early morning fire on Sturgis’ Main Street has died from her injuries.

The woman’s name hasn’t been officially released, although her friends on Facebook say Jessica Kerlin, owner of Unique to Antique, say she died Sunday from complications due to smoke inhalation.

Firefighters were called to the business just before 3:00 a.m. Sunday morning, and were alerted to a woman still inside. First responders rescued the woman and she was transported to the Sturgis hospital.

Authorities say the fire appears to have started in the back of the building where there was a living quarters. He says the fire marshal believes it to be an accidental cooking-related fire.