NEW: Madison home destroyed in natural gas explosion

February 24, 2023

MADISON, S.D. (KJAM)—Three people were taken by ambulance to a local hospital after their home in Madison, South Dakota after their home collapsed from a gas explosion on Thursday morning.

The three were in the home in the 1000-block of Northeast 11th Street in Madison when the explosion happened around 11:15 Thursday morning, causing the house to collapse.

Police Chief Justin Meyer said one of the residents suffered minor burns in the incident.

Fire Chief Randy Minnaert said that the weight of the snow by the home snapped a natural gas line off by the gas meter, which filled the house with gas. He said he’s not sure what ignited it, but it could’ve been something like a light switch or the furnace turning on. Minnaert said the explosion blew the windows out and caused the house to collapse.

Minnaert said the home is a total loss, and with it being a part of a twin home, he said the other home may have structural damage as well.