SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (TheSummitLeague.org) – The Omaha Mavericks topped The Summit League Preseason Baseball Coaches’ poll released Tuesday by league officials. The Mavericks won their first league title back in 2019 when the last full collegiate baseball season was completed.
Omaha, who received three of the five first-place votes, started the 2020 campaign with a 10-4 record before it was halted due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The Mavericks totaled 15 points in the poll and were followed by Oral Roberts, who was just a point behind with 14 and garnered the two remaining first-place votes.
North Dakota State (10) and South Dakota (7) followed in third and fourth, respectively while Western Illinois (4) rounded out the poll in fifth.
The 2021 Summit League slate will feature four-game sets as each of the teams will face off in home-and-away series beginning March 19-21.
Coaches are not allowed to vote for their own team.
2021 Summit League Players and Pitchers to Watch
Bennett Hostetler | North Dakota State | Sr. | SS
– In 17 starts during the shortened 2020 season, had four doubles, two home runs to go with nine RBI
– Has 159 career starts under his belt entering final collegiate season
Parker Harm | North Dakota State | Sr. | LHP
– In five relief appearances in 2020, went 1-0 with a 3.00 ERA while fanning 11 in nine innings of work
– Owns a 7-9 record with a 4.33 ERA and 128 strikeouts in 49 career appearances
Adam Mazur | South Dakota State | Fr. | RHP
– Earned No. 1 starter role as a freshman during abbreviated 2020 season, picking up first collegiate win in five shutout innings at Pacific
– Logged 20.1 innings while striking out 18
Drew Beazley | South Dakota State | So. | 1B
– Started all 17 games at first base during shortened 2020 season, batting .239 to go with nine RBI
– Owns a 1-1 record with 14 strikeouts in 17.2 innings of career work out of the bullpen
– Owns a career .264 batting average with six home runs and 30 RBI in 62 games (59 starts)
– Collegiate Baseball Freshman All-American and All-Summit League second team performer in 2019