ND Petroleum Council president “shocked” by judge’s ruling to shut down DAPL pipline (Audio)
July 6, 2020
BISMARCK, N.D.—A federal judge today ordered the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) to shut down, pending an environmental review.
The pipeline, which sparked massive protests near the North Dakota-South Dakota border, has been pumping oil for three years.
Judge James Boasberg had earlier ordered the Army Corps of Engineers to do a full Environmental Impact Statement on the $3.8 billion pipeline.
The ruling says the pipeline must be shut down and emptied of oil by August 5th.
The pipeline carries 570,000 barrels of Bakken crude. A project is pending that would have doubled its capacity.
North Dakota Petroleum Council President Ron Ness says he was “shocked” by the ruling….
Bismarck Attorney Timothy Purdon represented the Standing Rock tribe. He says North Dakotans shouldn’t be surprised by the judge’s ruling…
North Dakota U.S. Senator Kevin Cramer…..
Ness says he expects Energy Transfer Partners will appeal. He says he doesn’t think Boasberg has the authority to shut DAPL down.