Entertainment News

"The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" Tops Box Office in Opening Weekend


Warner Bros.(LOS ANGELES) -- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies topped the box office in its first weekend.The latest Lord of the Rings installment brought in $56.22 million between Friday and Sunday. The fantasy film stars Martin Freeman, Orland Bloom, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, and Evangeline Lilly.Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb, which also opened this weekend, came in second earning $17.3 million, while Annie debuted in third with $16.3 million.Here are the weekend's top films according to boxofficemojo.com:1. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: $56.22 million2. Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb: $17.3 million3. Annie: $16.3 million4. Exodus: Gods and Kings: $8.065 million5. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1: $7.75 million6. Wild: $4.15 million7. Top Five: $3.57 million8. Big Hero 6: $3.563 million9. Penguins of Madagascar: $3.525 million10. P.K.:$3.50 millionFollow @ABCNewsRadio!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Lance Bass Marries Michael Turchin


Albert L. Ortega/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- Lance Bass is a married man!The former 'N Sync star, host and producer, 35, married Michael Turchin in Los Angeles Saturday, People magazine reported.According to People, the couple married at the Park Plaza Hotel.Earlier this week, Bass couldn't contain his excitement, tweeting, "Heading to Santa Barbara to do a our walk through of the wedding at the venue!! Ahhhhhh! #LanceLovesMichael."He added that the rings arrived on Thursday. The rings just arrived!! #LanceLovesMichael 2 more sleeps!!!!! http://t.co/ozNXIp3qBw— Lance Bass (@LanceBass) December 18, 2014 Bass and the artists got engaged last September and shortly after, he spoke to ABC News about what to expect from his grand wedding."I love a party. It's going to be nice and big and over the top," he said. "We're wanting all of our guests to come completely over the top, high fashion like you're heading to the MET Ball or the Royal Wedding."Bass also said the wedding was filmed by E! for a special to air early next year."The network is doing the first celebrity, gay wedding, which is such an honor to be a part of," he said. "It's almost 2015, and we are just now having the first gay wedding special on television. As a little kid from Mississippi, I would have loved to have seen something like that go down on TV, so that I knew nothing was wrong with me."Bass revealed last year the couple hadn't fought once in their years together."I think it's just the universe telling me he's the one," he said.Follow @ABCNewsRadio !function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Elton John and David Furnish Are Married


Jason Kempin/Getty Images for EJAF(LONDON) -- After more than 20 years together, Elton John and his partner David Furnish are married!The music icon shared the news on Instagram: That's the legal bit done. Now on to the ceremony! #ShareTheLove @DavidFurnish???? ???????????? Elton John (@eltonjohn) ??? 12, 2014 at 3:20 PST The couple, who have been together since 1993, are already parents to Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John, who will be 4 years old this Christmas, and Elijah Joseph Daniel Furnish-John, 23 months.A law passed earlier this year in England allowing same-sex marriage and the Grammy winner has always been open about his relationship with Furnish, telling Parade magazine in 2010 that he "was attracted to David immediately."He regaled the magazine on how they met.“In 1993 I went back to my house in Windsor for a while. I wanted meet new people so I rang up a friend in London and said, ‘Could you please rattle some new people together for dinner here Saturday?’” John told Parade. "[David] was very well dressed, very shy. The next night we had dinner. After it, we consummated our relationship. We fell in love very quickly.”John added that to keep that spark in their relationship, "Every Saturday for 16 years, we’ve sent each other a card, no matter where we are in the world, to say how much we love each other.”The couple famously already entered into a civil partnership in 2005.Follow @ABCNewsRadio !function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Madonna Releases Six Songs from New Album


Jason Merritt/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Following the unauthorized leak earlier this week of some of her new, but incomplete tracks, Madonna has decided to officially release six songs from her upcoming album Rebel Heart.The songs are available for pre-order at iTunes and other outlets with the purchase of the album, and individually. More music is coming February 9, and the entire album will officially arrive during the first week of March.Follow @ABCNewsRadio !function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

"The Godfather: Part II": Celebrating the Movie's 40th Anniversary With 8 Little


Michael Ochs Archive/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- It has been 40 years since Francis Ford Coppola’s The Godfather: Part II was released on Dec. 20, 1974 and the movie has had a lasting impact.Part II was released two years after the The Godfather: Part I and it is widely considered the best sequel of all time. To some, the sequel even surpasses the original. The Godfather: Part III would come in 1990, but the third time was not quite the charm.The sequel focused on Michael Corleone, played by Al Pacino, as he attempted to expand his family business into a then-brand new playground called Las Vegas. The film included flashbacks to the early 1900s, showing the rise to power of a young Vito Corleone, played by a little-known actor named Robert De Niro. In Part I, the Vito Corleone character was played by the iconic Marlon Brando.Here are some fun facts that you may not have known about Part II on its 40th anniversary:1. De Niro, the Method ActorTo prepare for his role as Vito Corleone, De Niro, lived in Sicily and learned the Italian dialect. Nearly all of De Niro’s dialogue in the film was in Sicilian. 2. De Niro Was Almost Cast in the OriginalDe Niro auditioned for the role of Sonny Corleone in the original Godfather. De Niro’s audition tape is like watching poetry in motion. Various versions of the audition are on YouTube and worth a watch. The role of Sonny eventually went to James Caan, who made a cameo in a flashback in the final scene of the sequel even though he was killed in the original.The famous flashback scene at the end of Part II was also supposed to include a small cameo from Brando. Brando didn’t show up on the day of filming because of legal issues and problems between the actor and Paramount.3. The Brando-De Niro ConnectionBrando and De Niro are the only two actors to ever win separate Oscars for playing the same character. Brando won Best Actor for The Godfather while De Niro won Best Supporting Actor in Part II.4. Sequels Get No Love From OscarSpeaking of Oscars, Part II is the first sequel to win the Oscar for Best Picture. This feat would not be repeated until 2004 when the award was given to The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.5. Martin Scorsese Was This Close to Becoming DirectorCoppola originally didn’t want to direct a sequel because of a tenuous relationship with Paramount during the filming of the original, according to the Oscar-winning director. In the commentary for The Godfather DVD Collection, Coppola revealed he recommended Martin Scorsese to direct the film. 6. Offer Pacino Couldn't RefusePacino was paid $600,000 for his role in the sequel. Not bad for the time, but when you consider his salary for Part I -– a measly $35,000 -– it shows you how much Pacino’s stock rose in such a short time.7. Best Adapted Screenplay?Part II won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay even though only half the script was actually adapted. The story of Michael Corleone was written specifically for the film while the story of Vito Corleone came from The Godfather novel written by Mario Puzo, which was published in 1969.8. 'Part II' Got Off to a Rough StartCoppola later revealed in another documentary that “Part II” didn't test well in previews leading up to its release. The issue was the cutting back and forth to Michael Corleone’s storyline and the flashback scenes with the young Vito Corleone. Coppola and his editors worked in the cutting room to make the narrative flow better up until the film was released nationwide.Follow @ABCNewsRadio!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard Welcome Baby Girl


ABC/Rick Rowell(LOS ANGELES) -- Lincoln has a new baby sister.Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard welcomed their second child on Friday.The couple, who married last October, are already parents to daughter Lincoln, born March 2013. Delta Bell Shepard is here. She doesn't look like either @IMKristenBell or me, but we're gonna keep her anyway. #christmascameearly— dax shepard (@daxshepard1) December 20, 2014 In typical sarcastic fashion, the "Veronica Mars" star commented on her pregnancy this summer."Having a cold while being pregnant is like getting a parking ticket while you’re at the dentist," she tweeted.When the couple announced they were expecting again this past June, their rep said, "The whole family is beyond excited."Bell, 34, and Shepard, 39, were married in Beverly Hills in a modest way at the clerk's office on Oct. 17, 2013. The two began dating in 2007.Follow @ABCNewsRadio !function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Cosby Lawyer Says Comedian's Comments 'Continue to Be Misconstrued'


Photo by: Peter Kramer/NBC(NEW YORK) -- An attorney for Bill Cosby on Thursday criticized freelance journalist Stacy Brown on a Friday article in the New York Post in which Cosby's comments "continue to be misconstrued in a way that can only call into question the fair-mindedness of certain commentators."In that article, Brown quoted Cosby as saying, "I only expect our black media to uphold the standards of excellent journalism...and when you do that, you go in with a neutral mind." Cosby's attorney, John P. Schmitt, said that Cosby "did not ask for special treatment from the African-American media."Instead, Schmitt says, "he asked that they adhere to journalistic standards and approach the story in a neutral manner -- without a predisposition on either side of the story." That expectation applies to all media, he noted.Schmitt also noted the "mean-spirited and reckless rhetoric" spouted by MSNBC commentator and Georgetown University Professor Michael Eric Dyson. Dyson's comments called Cosby's request for neutrality the comedian's "rape [of the] entire black community."Cosby has been accused by several women in recent weeks of sexual abuse. Earlier this month, a woman named Judy Huth sued Cosby, alleging he molested her in the Playboy Mansion in 1974, when she was 15 years old.Last month, Cosby denied the allegations made against him through his attorney.Follow @ABCNewsRadio !function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs"); Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Mistrial Declared in Case Against Man Accused of Stalking R&B Singer Ashanti


ABC/Lou Rocco(NEW YORK) -- A New York criminal court judge on Thursday declared a mistrial in the case against Devar Hurd, the man accused of stalking R&B singer Ashanti.The mistrial was declared because one of the jurors was too sick to come in for deliberation. Hurd, who represented himself while facing charges of stalking and aggravated harassment, will return to jail and be retried as soon as next month.Between September 2012 and July 2013, Hurd allegedly sent over 100 messages to the singer on Twitter. Some of the messages were sexual in nature, and prosecutors said those messages caused harm to her "mental and emotional health." Hurd also allegedly approached Ashanti's sister, a violation of an order of protection requiring him to stay away.Follow @ABCNewsRadio !function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs"); Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio